Thursday, February 17, 2005 +

Two E-Mails from Fran Adams

@columbia.edu
Wed 2/16/2005 5:22 PM

Hi Leo,

I’m glad you showed my parents your tiles. I think they were impressed.

They said you also showed them pictures of the Gates project in Central Park, which makes me think you must be interested in it. We are really enjoying it. The color is just glorious!

On Sat. am when it was being unfurled, Dave and I and a cousin who was visiting ran up to the roof of our building first thing in the morning. The gates are small from there, but you can see a ribbon of orange snaking all over the park. Later, we went walking under them. We were all entranced.

Now we have the idea of going out at night and looking at them by flashlight. It’s raining today but we’ll try it sometime. The rain makes me think how lovely they'd be in the snow, should that chance to fall.

Love,
Fran


@columbia.edu
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 12:42:18 -0500

Hi Leo,

What do I think of it as art? A good question, endlessly discussed here at the office. Some people say it’s not as good as his other work, a few say the park doesn’t need any “improvement” anyway, several artist friends said it’s an event, not an art work for the ages. I more-or-less agree with all this, but I think it’s so very pretty to look at and makes it so much fun to walk around the park, and that’s all I ask of it. I say it’s a good piece of art.

Here’s what my brother has to say in a message he wrote
yesterday. He was with Esme:

We entered the park at one of the points rec. by the Times, W. 72nd St., where a number of lines of gates converge, and my first reaction was that they were a bit jarring. After walking around for awhile, however, I began to find them an ever more agreeable and somehow comforting presence, to the point that I am even now, while they are still up, already feeling how keenly I will miss them when they're gone. It is tempting to complain that they should be up for 2 months or 2 years instead of 2 weeks, but I suppose their ephemeral nature makes one appreciate them more and makes it impossible to start taking them for granted.

Love,
Fran